Wednesday, July 17, 2013

I Walked into Cheese Heaven...

Les Amis du FROMAGE is a Cheese Shop in Vancouver that I pass by from time to time on my way into Vancouver. So just the other day I decided that this time I need to go in and final check out this place.

Ahhhhh... for a chef is was liking walking into to heaven. In addition to cheese, they also import many other specialty foods including top quality blended and single varietal extra virgin olive oils, specialty vinegars, cheese accompaniments, crackers and biscuits, local and imported charcuterie and cheese equipment like cheese knives, cheese boards, raclette machines and fondue pots.

I walk in my head swimming with all the great products to look at and purchase and who shouts out "Hey Marcel is that you" well it's a good friend Joe Chaput. Joe and I  we used to work together a long time ago so it was nice to catch up and say "Hello". Joe just happens to be the Red Seal Chef helping to run this amazing little piece of heaven.

I found out later that this shop is a mother and daughter team of Alice & Allison Spurrell who stock the larders of the city's finest restaurants.  They fill their shelves with hundreds of cheeses including local, unpasteurized (Lait Cru) French, English, Italian, Spanish, Swiss and other specialties from around the world.  The store regularly stocks between 400-500 cheeses for sale to both trade and consumers.  Of those cheeses, at least 150 are from Canada, with a focus on British Columbia and Quebec just what I like to see Locavoire.

 
For those of you that love cheese you have got to check this place out. I bought a sample of a few cheeses and meats and that night made a great Charcuterie Board for my wife and I for a late night dinner on the patio. My wife... guess what was in heaven.......

No comments:

Post a Comment