Saturday, October 20, 2012

Applewood Smoked Garlic


I recently bought a Smoker, I am always wanting to experment with foods and have always had a passion for smoked meats. Wanting to try something out of the box I decided last weekend to experiment with garlic. I took about 25 bulbs of garlic and just cut off the tops exposing the heads of garlic just slightly. I poured Virgin Olive Oil on the tops and sides and then layered them on my wire racks. I placed these in my smoker at 250 degrees for about 2 hours.



 The end result is these beautiful golden heads of garlic with cloves that come out golden brown, soft and sweet smoky texture. I pulled the cloves out of the bulbs and placed in a food processor. I then pureed the garlic. Spread this on a toasted baguette with a slice of brie cheese. So simple and so easy. I pulled from my Osoyoos trip a bottle from Church and State a Cabernet Franc, full, rich and silky texture. Ripe dark fruits of cassis, cedar and cigar box pairs perfectly with the smoky flavours of the garlic.

No comments:

Post a Comment